A Brief History of Land Rover
Land Rover is a British brand of four-wheel-drive cars that offers premium and luxury sport utility vehicles. Maurice Wilks, chief designer of the Rover Company, designed the first Land Rover with his brother Spencer, the managing director of Rover, in 1947. The prototype, nicknamed the Centre Steer, was built on a Jeep chassis and axles. Early versions of the vehicle came in various shades of light green, because they were painted with military surplus supplies of aircraft cockpit paint.
Land Rover as a company has existed since 1978. Before this, Land Rover was a product line of the Rover Company which was absorbed by the British Leyland Motor Corporation (BL). The ongoing success of the original Land Rover series models, and laterly the Range Rover in 1970, prompted the separation of the Land Rover company but still under the BL umbrella and part of the Rover Group. In 1994, Rover Group, and Land Rover along with it, was acquired by BMW. In 2000, Rover Group was broken up by BMW and Land Rover was sold to Ford Motor Company, becoming part of its Premier Automotive Group. On June 11, 2007, Ford announced that it planned to sell Land Rover along with Jaguar Cars. On January 1, 2008, Ford sold their Land Rover and Jaguar operations to Tata Motors of India. On January 18, 2008, Tata Motors established Jaguar Land Rover Limited as a British-registered and wholly owned subsidiary.
Land Rover Today
Some of Land Rover’s most popular models today include:
- LR3: The LR3, or Discovery 3, was debuted on April 2, 2004 at the British International Motorshow. Land Rover developed a body construction method for the LR3 called the Integrated Body Frame. The LR3 also features a full independent suspension system which enables ride-height adjustment by pumping or deflating the airbags. The engines used in the LR3 were from sister company Jaguar, and the gearboxes on the car were brand new. The exterior of the vehicle has a fresh, minimalist style and had features such as a DVD navigation system, including some optional features like Bluetooth.
- Range Rover Sport: A luxury mid-size SUV that was released in 2005. The Range Rover Sport is powered by a supercharged 5.0 litre Jaguar aluminum engine and its air suspension gives the driver an option of three ride height settings. The vehicle also has a Terrain Response system, which has been patented by Land Rover and allows the driver to adjust chassis and transmission settings to suit the terrain being traversed. The five terrains the SUV can persist through are general driving; grass, gravel, snow; mud and ruts; sand; and rock crawl.
- Range Rover: The Range Rover is a full size luxury Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) that was launched in 1970 and is currently in its fourth generation. The Range Rover now comes in a hybrid version as well.
Your Trusted Auto Repair Shop for Land Rover Repair
Eventually, all vehicles need to be brought in for repairs. Whatever your needs are, you can take your Land Rover to Auburn Euro Motors. Proudly serving residents of Auburn and surrounding areas since 1997, our highly-skilled technicians go through extensive automotive repair training. At Auburn Euro Motors, our number one goal is complete customer satisfaction, and we will make sure your vehicle is taken care of with top-notch service and also efficiently and cost-effectively. Here’s some reasons you should choose us:
- Every item you request gets our complete attention. You deal directly with the owner, or our knowledgeable Service Advisor, at every phase of the estimate or repair, and nothing gets lost in translation.
- We offer a 36 month/36,000 mile nation wide Parts and Labor warranty on most repairs.
- We have a six month payment option (upon approval) to make it easy on your wallet.
If you are in or nearby Auburn, feel free to give us a call at 530-268-1870 to schedule an appointment at Auburn Euro Motors today!
For honest and efficient auto repair in Auburn, CA, turn to the capable team at Auburn Euro Motors. “Life’s too short to drive boring cars.”